The bar has always been very supportive of QPILCH and we have around 100 barrister members.
Members join an email list and are sent requests when pro bono assistance is needed in a public interest matter. It is completely at your discretion when to offer to assist, depending on your expertise, capacity and interest.
Barristers typically assist with advices (often to community legal centres and other not-for-profits), and representation, working with QPILCH member firms.
- More information about the QPILCH Referral Service
- More information about membership
- Homeless Persons' Legal Clinic - The HPLC provides free legal advice and assistance to people experiencing or at risk of homelessness, at a number of community agencies across Queensland. The HPLC sometimes assists clients with minor criminal matters arising from their homelessness, with the help of a panel of barristers willing to assist in these matters.
- Self Representation Service - Member barristers assist the Self Representation Service with advice in particularly complex matters. The Service also maintains a panel of legal practitioners able to conduct mediation and refers matters to this panel.
For non-members - Bar Pro Bono Referral Service
Barristers who are members of the Bar Association of Queensland can participate in the Bar Pro Bono Referral Service, which QPILCH coordinates on behalf of the BAQ.
- Information for Barristers - The Bar Pro Bono Referral Service was established to coordinate and target pro bono referrals in civil mattters for people experiencing hardship. It is managed by QPILCH on behalf of the Bar Association. The Service, which operates with the QLS Pro Bono Referral Service, is funded by the Queensland Attorney-General from the Legal Practitioner Interest On Trust Accounts Fund and the BAQ and QLS.
Magistrates Court Service
QPILCH and the BAQ have recently started a project in which barristers assist litigants in civil matters in the Brisbane registry of the Magistrates Court.
Barristers will help assess applications, and where they determine a matter has merit, QPILCH will attempt to find a member law firm to instruct the barrister.
If you are interested in participating in this new project, please let us know.
Other volunteering opportunities
- Read more about volunteering opportunities for individual lawyers - QPILCH primarily works with barristers, law firms and in-house legal units, but we welcome individual lawyers who wish to volunteer at QPILCH during business hours.