From time to time, QPILCH makes submissions to government about issues of concern to QPILCH. This section contains the submissions prepared by QPILCH and also includes some documents prepared by other organisations which discuss issues upon which we commented.
Links to submissions
- Feedback Submission - Child Protection Inquiry Discussion Paper - QPILCH Feedback Submissions on the Queensland Child Protection Commission of Inquiry Discussion Paper (March 2013)
- Submission on the Review of the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (158KB) - January 2013
- Submission to LIPITAF Review - 22 October 2012
- Submission to the Commission of Inquiry into the Child Protection System (649KB) - September 2012
- Submission to Homelessness Bill Branch - 3 August 2012
- Penalties and Sentences Act 1992 - Offender Levy - Submission to the Legal Affairs and Community Safety Committee on the Offender Levy - 17 July 2012
- Revision of the Coal Seam Gas Water Management Policy (PDF 405KB) - Submission to the Department of Environment and Resource Management on the revision of the Coal Seam Gas Water Management Policy (23 December 2011).
- Constitutional Recognition of Local Government (PDF 147KB) - Submission to the Expert Panel on the Constitutional Recognition of Local Government (4 Nov 2011)
- Hansard of committee evidence - 4 October 2011
- PPRA Submission to Parliamentary Committee - Submission to Legal Affairs, Police, Corrective Services and Emergency Services Committee on the Police Powers and Responsibilities and Other Legislation Amendement Bill - 22 September 2011
- Government lawyers in pro bono work (PDF 57KB) - Submission to the Queensland Attorney-General for the involvement of government lawyers in pro bono work - December 2010
- Submission to Strategy for Reducing Homelessness 2010-2020 Discussion Paper (PDF 144KB) - The HPLC drafted this submission to the Department of Communities Discussion Paper in December 2010.
- Submission on unbundling (PDF 157KB) - Proposal for protection of community-based lawyers providing discrete task assistance to parties in the same proceedings submitted to the National Legal Reform Taskforce on 23 July 2010.
- Submission to Public Trustee - Incapable of Justice (PDF 249kb) - Submission produced by the Self-Representation Civil Law Service about capacity and self-represented litigants - November 2009
- Response to the report of the Access to Justice Taskforce (PDF 315kb) - November 2009
- Submission to Standing Committee - Submission to Standing Committee on the inquiry into homelessness legislation - 14 August 2009
- Submission to the National Human Rights Consultation (PDF 230KB) - June 2009
- Homeless Persons' Legal Clinic submission to National Human Rights Consultation - enclosing 24 client questionnaires. Questionnaires asked clients to provide details of their human rights related experiences to help to answer the Consultation question, 'are rights currently sufficiently protected?'
In the interests of maintaining client confidentiality, copies of client questionnaires are not available.
- Submission to the Productivity Commission on the Contribution of the Not For Profit Sector (PDF 164KB) - 29 May 2009. A submission addressing the terms of reference of the Commission's study.
- Submission to CMC - use of Qld police move-on powers - This submission was made to the CMC enclosing 17 submissions from HPLC clients. These submissions provided details from HPLC clients about their experiences with the use of move on powers by Queensland police officers.
- HPLC Response to Green Paper on Homelessness - The HPLC submitted its response to the Government's Green Paper on Homelessness on 27 June 2008. The response is informed by the experiences of HPLC clients and puts forward recommendations for change to the Government based on these experiences.
- Submission to the LCARC on Access to Justice (PDF 234KB) - Submission to the LCARC on the accessibility of administrative justice, freedom of information and accessibility of information about government decisions (3 Oct 2007)
- HPLC Submission to RTA on its review of the Residential Tenancies Act 1994 (103KB) - This submission outlines the HPLC's concerns about proposed changes to the Residential Tenancies Act 1994 (June 2007)
- HPLC Submission to National Youth Commission Inquiry into Youth Homelessness (PDF 286KB) - A collaborative submission representing the concerns of the QPILCH Homeless Persons' Legal Clinic, Brisbane Youth Service, Australian Red Cross (through its Youth Night Cafe) and the Salvation Army Youth Outreach Service (June 2007)
- Submission to the Attorney-General on civil law services (PDF 331KB) - Achievable initiatives to improve civil law services
in Queensland (17 Nov 2006)
- Submission to the Queensland Law Society regarding Voluntary Practising Certificates (PDF 168KB) - A submission to the Queensland Law Society to introduce a voluntary practising certificate for community legal centre volunteers (Sep 2006)
- Submission to the Standing Committee of Attorneys General on litigation funding (PDF 305KB) - QPILCH submission to SCAG review of litigation funding (13 Sep 2006)
- Submission to CMC Review of Public Nuisance (PDF 216KB) - Submission by the QPILCH Homeless Persons' Legal Clinic in response to the Crime & Misconduct Commission's Issues Paper regarding the Summary Offences Act 2005 public nuisance offence (July 2006)
- Inquiry into the Accessibility of Administrative Justice (PDF 255KB) - Submission to the Legal, Constitutional and Administrative Review Committee (6 April 2006)
- LAQ's Review of Civil Law Legal Aid Services (PDF 277KB) - Submission to Legal Aid Queensland's Review of Civil Law Legal Aid Scheme (CLLAS) (Feb 2006)
- LAQ's Review of the Civil Law Legal Aid Scheme (PDF 46KB) - LAQ's Discussion paper (Dec 2005)
- Submission to Brisbane City Council on Move On Powers (PDF 148KB) - Objection in response to Brisbane City Council's public notification that it intends to apply for more "notified areas" within which police can exercise move on powers pursuant to ss 40 and 41 of the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000 (Qld). (28 Oct 2005)
- A guide to Navigating the Magistrates Court (PDF 1.41MB) - Submission to improve the signage systems for Brisbane City's Magistrates Courts with a view to increasing the accessiblity of the courts for disadvantaged defendants, particularly those who are unrepresented in criminal proceedings. The submission outlines shortcomings of the current signage systems and recommends specific solutions to those shortcomings.
- Legal Aid Queensland's Review of Civil Law Services (PDF 126KB) - Submission to Legal Aid Queensland (July 2005)
- Summary of responses (PDF 188KB) - Summary of responses to the LAQ consultation paper on the review of Civil Law Services, compiled by Legal Aid (November 2005)
- Inquiry into the Provisions of the Migration Litigation Reform Bill 2005 (PDF 236KB) - Submission to the Senate Legal and Constitutional Committee (6 Apr 2005)
- Review of the Vagrants, Gaming and Other Offences Act 1931 (Qld) (PDF 1.2MB) - Submission to the Minister for Police and Corrective Services (Aug 2004)
- Legal Aid and Access to Justice (PDF 334KB) - HPLC submission to the Parliament Senate Inquiry into Legal Aid and Access to Justice (20 Aug 2003)
- Class Actions (PDF 40KB) - Submission to the Honourable Rod Welford MLA, Attorney-General and Minister for Justice (5 Feb 2002)
- Costs and Fees in Public Interest Litigation (PDF 44KB) - Submission to the Hon Rod Welford MLA, Attorney General and Minister for Justice regarding costs and fees in public interest litigation (5 Feb 2002)
Submissions no longer available online
- Inquiry into Stolen Wages - Submission to the Australian Senate by QPILCH members Jean Dalton SC and Patrick Hay - Submission 50 (10 Aug 2006)
- Inquiry into Legal Aid and Access to Justice - Parliament of Australia Senate website including links to all submissions and final report tabled 8 June 2004.
- Legal Aid Queensland's Review of Financial Eligibility for Legal Assistance - Submission to Legal Aid Queensland (Jul 2005)
- Summary of responses - Summary of responses to LAQ consultation paper on "Financial Eligibility for Legal Assistance" compiled by Legal Aid (November 2005).